Tuesday, November 1, 2011

JeNee: My Sister in Zion

Earlier this year, my little sister Michelle decided to serve an 18-month mission for our church (The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints). While on her mission, we would be unable to visit or call Michelle; our communication would be through letters and emails only. The day Michelle told me she had decided to serve a mission, I was furious. Ben was continuing to get worse; I needed my sister close by. I couldn't understand why she would want to help anyone but me.

Enter our sweet family friend JeNee. JeNee is one of the most service-oriented people I know. She has done so much for me and my family and so it should have come as no surprise that she was excited to help Michelle get ready for her mission. When Michelle learned she would be serving in bitter cold Montana, JeNee decided Michelle needed a warm quilt for the chilly nights ahead. If the thought of Michelle freezing in cold sheets had occurred to me, I would have been secretly pleased--she deserved it for leaving me behind.

Luckily for Michelle, JeNee stepped in. JeNee invited several women to her home for lunch and quilting. JeNae showed us the quilt she had been working on. On it is the Montana state flag, a hand-stitched picture of Michelle as a missionary, and spots for women to sew their names. It was beautiful. I grudgingly stitched my name in.

When the quilt was finished, we met over breakfast and watched as JeNee handed the wrapped quilt to Michelle. JeNee said something to the effect of, "this is something we wanted to give you to show you we support you in your desire to serve the Lord and that we stand behind you 100%." Michelle opened the card; since I was sitting next to her, I saw that JeNee had signed it, "your sisters in zion."

I was really touched by that. JeNee reminded me that we really are sisters in Zion, working towards building God's kingdom. I thought of my relationship with my two younger sisters. We love each other, help each other and do whatever we can to support each other. Our relationship as sisters in the gospel should be no different. We are meant to stay close together, praying for and encouraging each other at all times.

After that experience, I have spent a lot of time thinking about JeNee and the comfort I feel from knowing that she, and many strong women around me, are truly my sisters in Zion.

SISTERS ARE STRONG WOMEN

* I am happy to report that I eventually realized the immaturity of my ways and am incredibly proud of my sister and her service as a missionary. We have been greatly blessed through her hard work and know that she is exactly where the Lord wants her to be.

1 comment:

  1. You still have plenty of sisters at home. We love you, too--even though are last names are different.

    ReplyDelete