Thursday, October 27, 2011

Sharilyn: Mowing



My mom, Sharilyn, loves to work. She used most of our childhood saturdays giving us plenty of chances to fall in love with work too, something I especially enjoyed from ages 13 to 18.

One of her favorite things to do is to mow the yard. She puts on her power-pants (this is her name for her purple stretchy pants she likes to clean in) and fires up the mower. There's nothing that can get in her way. Newspaper in the middle of the yard? No problem: run right over it. Plastic flamingos someone stuck in the lawn overnight? Easy: move, mow and carefully put back.

A few days ago, she was mowing the yard while I was chasing Emmerson around outside. I was lucky enough to look up in time to see her get her head caught in the volley ball net. Awesome.

Regardless of her mowing techniques, I am secretly pleased that she mows and edges the yard. Most women shy away from doing this, but she loves it. Because of her, I have come to love mowing and edging as well. I mowed my own yard all through my pregnancy and felt deep satisfaction in being able to do something most wives leave for their husbands to do. My mom showed me that STRONG WOMEN KNOW HOW TO WORK.

1 comment:

  1. Please don't tell my husband about this! He might think I need to start mowing.

    ReplyDelete