Friday, September 23, 2011

Emmerson: Pearl Earrings

*Emmerson is my 15-month daughter.

A couple of days ago I took Emmerson to the rec center pool. It has an area with "little kid" slides and an area with "big kid" slides. Emmerson LOVES the slides. Especially the big kid ones. Some recent weight gain landed me in my "fat" swimsuit, and I hadn't shaved my legs or showered before we came to the pool. Emmerson had pulled her hair elastic out so her hair stuck up all over the place. We made quite a pair.

As I was watching Emmerson climb up the stairs towards the top of the slide, I noticed a mom and her daughter walk in. The mother was dressed to kill, and her toddler followed behind her in a leopard print swimsuit, pearl earrings, and perfect hair. My first thought was, "How come I'm not like that?" But my jealousy was interrupted by Emmy. I turned to see her clutching the side rails of the stairs, rattling them back and forth, giving a war cry of triumph. Back to reality.

I watched my determined Emmerson continue climbing up to the big kid slide and realized what a strong, persistent little girl she is. She is her own person; she is not afraid to try anything. And that's what this world needs: strong girls who grow up into strong women; not more pearl earrings.

No comments:

Post a Comment